Jan Chryzostom Pasek in the Battle of Lachowicze during the Russo-Polish War, 1660
The Battle of Polonka (Połonka) took place near Polonka during the Polish-Russian War (1658-1667) on June 29, 1660 between Polish-Lithuanian and Russian forces. Polish-Lithuanian forces under Stefan Czarniecki and Paweł Jan Sapieha forced a Russian retreat through a carefully planned hussar ambush and several tactically effective flanking maneuvers. The Russian defeat also meant they had to abandon the siege of Lyakhavichy (Lachowicze).
The Russo-Polish War of 1654–1667, also called Thirteen Years’ War, First Northern War, War for Ukraine was the last major conflict between Tsardom of Russia and the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Between 1655 and 1660, the Second Northern War was also fought in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, thus these theatres are known in Poland as “The Deluge”. Although the Commonwealth regained her ground after initial defeats, and won most of the battles, its plundered economy was not able to fund the long conflict. Facing internal crisis and civil war, Poland was forced to sign a bitter truce. The war ended with significant Russian territorial gains and marked the beginning of the rise of Russia as a great power in Eastern Europe.